Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut Gone!

One of the world's literary giants of the 20th century is gone. The author behind such masterpieces as "Slaughterhouse-Five," "Breakfast of Champions," and "Cat's Cradle" has been one of my favorite writers for many years. I will miss his wit and insight. On a personal note, I once wrote to Mr. Vonnegut many years ago asking his permission to name a band "Kilgore Trout." To my amazement and pure, unadulterated joy, I received a letter back from him granting permission to use the name. I still have that letter. It's one of my most prized possessions. I have formed several incarnations of KILGORE TROUT as a musical group over the years. I recently started putting another version together. The irony wouldn't be lost on Mr Vonnegut.

Good-by, Kurt. As you were so fond of saying, "And so it goes."

Kurt Vonnegut's novels
• "Player Piano," 1952
• "The Sirens of Titan," 1959
• "Mother Night," 1962
• "Cat's Cradle," 1963
• "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater," 1965
• "Slaughterhouse-Five," 1969
• "Breakfast of Champions,"
1973.
• "Slapstick," 1976
• "Jailbird," 1979 .
• "Deadeye Dick," 1983
• "Galápagos," 1985
• "Bluebeard," 1988
• "Hocus Pocus," 1990
• "Three Complete Novels," 1995
• "Timequake," 1997

No comments: